Automatic Metadata Generation R&D (SILS Metadata class)
From Dryad wiki
This page was created in fall 2009 to document work done by students in Jane Greenberg's Metadata class in UNC SILS.
Final projects and independent study research
Dryad and HIVE: exploring automatic metadata generation and metadata quality.
- SNIP-IT project (Semantic Nuggets in Pieces of Indexed Text): Article content and data object metadata generation—an evaluation of the suitability of published article content, found in pre and post data presentation sub-genres, for automatic metadata generation. (J. Adamo, L. Skalla).
- NACS project (Name Authority Control for Scientists): Name-authority control—an exploratory study on the need for name authority control for scientists depositing in Dryad, and the suitability of the LCNAF (LC Authorities: http://authorities.loc.gov/). (D. Haven)
- Comparing HIVE/HIVE and the NCBO Bioportal: Comparing concept retrieval indexing and basic term matching technqiues. (J. Sherman).
- HIVE Usability study: Pilot testing HIVE interface and system in Hollie's 520 class, and preparing for more invovled HIVE testing for masters's paper research. (L.Huang)
- MEOW[excel] project (MEtadata Object Wrapper): Data object wrapper metadata—an exploratory/very small sclae assessment of the availability and quality of metadata associated excel data files stored in Dryad. (M.Graves)
- HIVE algorithm testing (HAT): Plans underway(M. Marathe)
- See also student showcase meeting March 3, 2010 (https://www.nescent.org/wg_dryad/WG:Team_Meetings#Student_showcase.2C_March_3):
- A potential project/currently on hold: Confirming and validating taxonomic authorities for Dryad—an assessment of selected taxonomic systems for standardizing taxonomic names in Dryad, drawing from nexus file data (the initial sample will be drawn from Systematic Biology.
- Research Randomizer: http://www.randomizer.org/form.htm
- Dryad repository homepage: http://datadryad.org/
- Parnter journals: http://datadryad.org/repo/themes/Dryad/pages/partners.html
- HIVE wiki: https://www.nescent.org/sites/hive
- Jane’s SILS metadata class description: http://sils.unc.edu/programs/courses/descriptions.html#211]