Dryad Usage Logging Technology
The purpose of this technology is to generate a log of user interactions such as submission and search through Dryad. The existing logging technologies do not provide a detailed enough framework to extract this data.
Dryad uses the DSpace statistics module to aggregate and display view/download counts for data packages and files. Google Analytics is also used as a high-level web analytics package.
DSpace  is an object that is designed for recording actions on DSpace Objects (e.g. Dryad Data Packages or Dryad Data Files). It references an Action and a DSpaceObject, so may not be the best fit for logging user interactions in the submission or search system
The following areas of functionality are targeted for Dryad Usage Logging:
- Workflow / curation
- User registration
The following fields shall be recorded for each user action
- Date and time
- Sesssion or user-id
- Necessary to establish a sequence of actions performed by a distinct user
- For submissions, a user id will be available but could be de-identified
- What link or button led to this page
- Page or submission step
- Submission system uses continuations in URLs so URLs alone are not sufficient
- Search system facets
- Results shown to user
- Number of search items
- Other submission-relevant data?