Google Apps Technology
User management is relatively straightforward.
Email alias management:
- If a single user needs a single alias, this can be added to their account in the Gmail settings.
- Go to the user's account
- Click on "Account"
- "Add an alias" in the right panel
- For multiple users, a group must be created.
- If an alias will point to a user with a non-dryad address, a group must be created. (A one-person group is allowed.)
- Groups can be created as an administrative group (in the main admin panel), or as a group in the Google Groups app.
- Groups can be managed better in the Google Groups app. It has many more configuration options.
- Administrators can only view a group in the Google Groups view if they are a member of the group.
The announcements mailing list is dryad-announce.
There is a subscription form on the Dryad homepage for this list. The form sends a message to subscribe_mailinglist.recipient using the template subscribe_mailinglist.
Where is an email address located?
- Check the mail app -- list of all addresses
- Check the groups -- all groups are shown on the "admin groups" page, but the admin-only groups don't show up on the "my groups" page unless you are a member of them
Where is a setting for a particular behavior?
- many settings are at the "admin" level, i.e., accessed from the admin dashboard. But some settings are at the "app" level -- from the dashboard, go to Apps, find the specific app, then go to its settings.