Updates to Dryad are released frequently. Check this page to learn what has changed lately. For a broad overview of Dryad's history, see Repository History.
Current development plans
Details about current Dryad development are available in Trello. Trello is an interactive tool for managing "cards" associated with Dryads high-level deliverables. For more information on Dryad's use of Trello, see Using Trello. Or simply start looking through the Dryad Trello boards.
Additionally, there is a page of Proposed Student Projects. These are smaller features that may be completed by student interns.
Released in June 2013
- Updated website to reflect the fact that the membership meeting is over. (2013-6-3)
Released in May 2013
- Corrected issue with checksum calculation in DataONE interface (2013-5-23)
- Improved process for reporting global statistics (2013-5-23
- Corrected issue that would sometimes prevent the data package page from displaying (2013-5-14)
- Search results show total number of items retrieved (2013-5-14)
- Restored access to "Show Full Metadata", which had been disabled temporarily (2013-5-14)
- Embedded browsing system within the home page (2013-5-14)
- Initial release of the Banner Image Widget API (2013-5-5)
- Remove requirement that the feedback form must be referred from another DSpace page (2013-5-1)
Released in April 2013
- Updates to text of static pages. (2013-4-30)
- Improved reporting for statistics associated with data packages. (2013-4-30)
- Changed data package pages to better follow the W3C specifications. (2013-4-24)
- Cleaned appearance of Login and Sign Up buttons during deployment of server updates. (2013-4-24)
- On the Repository Technology page, added logos of collaborating organizations. (2013-4-18)
- Improved clarity of all automated emails sent by Dryad. (2013-4-18)
- Made embargo notices more visible. (2013-4-16)
- Major site redesign. The redesign includes new visual styling, many new pages explaining Dryad's services, and efficient access to the most-sought information. (2013-4-15)
Released in March 2013
- Corrected problem that would not show all of a user's in-progress submissions. (2013-3-20)
- Added support for harvesting by CLOCKSS. This feature is integrated with the sitemaps. The new sitemaps should also improve the accuracy of harvests by Google. (2013-3-18)
- Added page that allows users to register for Dryad email announcements. (2013-3-1)
- Added configuration for several newly integrated journals. (2013-3-1)
- Added cover images for several integrated journals. (2013-3-1)
Released in Feb 2013
- Internal updates to support new site styling. (2013-2-26)
- Fixed misc bugs associated with DataONE API. (2013-2-26)
- Released version 3.1 of the XML schema for Dryad metadata. (2013-2-26)
- Fixed bug that was causing the DataONE logging system to not respond on the production server. (2013-2-19)
- Updates to DataONE API. Updated the metadata objects to use the Dryad Application Profile, version 3.1. (2013-2-16)
- Corrected bug that was displaying "Remove selected submissions" button even when no submissions were available. (2013-2-16)
- Fix to versioning system. Item pages are not changed until the a newer version of the item is approved by curators. (2013-2-12)
- Added display of Related Data Packages. Initially, this section will only be used for Molecular Ecology Resources. It will display when we have multiple data packages for a single Genomic Resources Notes article. (2013-2-12)
- Blocked all NESCent machines from being counted in Dryad statistics. (2013-2-6)
- Added a report that describes data packages and their associated journals. (2013-2-6)
- Improved wording on publication blackout page. (2013-2-6)
Released in Jan 2013
- Improved wording on "publication blackout" page (2013-1-31)
- When an item is versioned, the author must supply a reason for creating a new version. (2013-1-29)
- Updated interface for DataONE. It now complies with all requirements for a DataONE Tier 1 node. (2013-1-29)
- Corrected a bug that caused some links to display incorrectly in search results. (2013-1-29)
- Corrected issue in curator's search interface. (2013-1-29)
- Corrected bug with OAI-PMH that was allowing metadata to be viewed before items were fully archived. (2013-1-15)
- Improved display of DOIs and PMIDs in article citations. (2013-1-8)
- Disabled statement pooling to avoid PSQLException: This statement has been closed. (2013-1-8)
Released in Dec 2012
- Curators can delete versioned submissions when the new version was unnecessary. (2012-12-22)
- Support for special handling of "Genomic Resources Notes" articles in Molecular Ecology Resources. (2012-12-22)
- Fix for bug in NCBI LinkOut behavior. The bug was preventing pages from loading correctly when a LinkOut link was visited multiple times. (2012-12-18)
- Temporarily disabled versioning for end-users, pending completion of a feature for curators to roll back versioned items. (2012-12-18)
- Fix for bug that prevented embargoes from being lifted when items were released from publication blackout. (2012-12-18)
- Users can easily delete unfinished submissions that are in their workspace. (2012-12-18)
- Versioning system reverts identifier mappings when a user deletes an unfinished submission. (2012-12-18)
- Improved the system for processing metadata emails from integrated journals (see associated Trello card). (2012-12-13)
- Enabled integration for Journal of Animal Ecology. (2012-12-13)
- Enabled integration for GMS German Medical Science (2012-12-12)
- Corrected issues with internal logging. (2012-12-12)
- Fixed the number appearing on the homepage for journals associated with Dryad content. It had been off by two due to some test journals in the list. (2012-12-11)
Released in Nov 2012
- Fixed issue with versioning. The issue was spreading individual file edits across multiple files, and was causing some embargo settings to be lost during versioning.
- Updated internal libraries. We hope this reduces occurrences of the Postgres connection error. (2012-11-30)
- Updated footer to display actual build date. The footer also contains an HTML comment indicating exactly which version of code is deployed. (2012-11-20)
- When a search would return a single result, the system automatically forwards to the page for that result. This is a critical component of the NCBI LinkOut feature. (2012-11-20)
- Updated LICENSE files to reflect DuraSpace and NESCent contributions. (2012-11-15)
- Updated description of the repository on the home page, members page, and about page. These updates reflect decisions of the Dryad Management Board's July 2012 meeting. (2012-11-05)
- Updated rules for RSS feeds and "Recently Published Data" list on the homepage. These lists now contain exactly the same information. Items do not appear in these lists until at least one data file is publicly readable. Items with all data files under embargo are suppressed from the lists. (2012-11-05)
- Corrected issue with the autocompletion of journal names on the initial submission page. The autocompletion now accurately reflects the set of journals with data appearing in Dryad, plus journals that are integrated with Dryad. (2012-11-05)
Released in Oct 2012
- Initial configuration for the journal Elementa. (2012-10-31)
- Improved wording of the link users see to create a new version. (2012-10-31)
- Updated the API for communicating with DataONE. (2012-10-31)
- On item pages, removed trailing commas from keyword lists. (2012-10-23)
- When items are versioned, the dates attached to the versions are correct. (2012-10-23)
- When items are versioned, only the most recent version is available in search results. (2012-10-23)
- Restored ability for curators to delete items. (2012-10-23)
- On "depositing data" page, corrected spelling of Creative Commons. (2012-10-23)
- Suppressed extra error messages that were going into log files. (2012-10-23)
- Improved display of licensing information for items stored in external repositories. (2012-10-23)
At this point, the Dryad code was moved to GitHub. By using GitHub, we were able to break releases into smaller pieces, which allowed us to roll out minor updates more frequently.
Release date: March 26, 2012
- Authors are able to pull up the bibliographic information of previously published articles at the time of data submission using an article DOI or PubMed ID.
Search and retrieval:
- Dryad content searchable and replicated through the DataONE network.
- tools required to support curation level 1 (including validation of publication of metadata, DOI lookup).
- Items in the curation system can be more easily searched and managed.
- System for managing "publication blackout", where no metadata about a submission is released until an article is published (only enabled for journals that request it).
Release date: September 2, 2011
- The submission system is now integrated with 12 journals.
Search and retrieval:
- Integrated display that allows direct download of data from the Dryad page for a data package.
- Experiment with curator-supervised, automated enhancement of metadata (e.g. mining text and data for terms from controlled vocabularies)
Release date: March 30, 2011
Release 1.9 focuses on improvements to support Dryad's interaction with partner journals.
- Data submission can occur prior to article review (where journals so choose)
- Peer reviewers can have anonymous access to Dryad content.
- Authors receive a provisional DOI immediately upon data submission.
- Enhancements to the system for receiving metadata from journals. This supports a broader range of manuscript processing systems, and therefore a broader range of Partner Journals.
- The page for each Dryad data package now displays the name of each file, rather than the file identifier, for easier identification of appropriate data files.
Internal system changes:
- Testing of distributed replication to the pilot node at the British Library.
Release date: January 14, 2011
Release 1.8 is focused on making the Dryad system more scalable and robust. The primary features are:
- Correction of outstanding issues identified by our user community and our internal testing.
- Improving internal monitoring and testing in preparation for increasing usage.
- The login page has been redesigned, again for ease of use.
- The browsing system is improved. It is now possible to skip to entries that begin with a certain letter or prefix string.
- The search system now allows addition of more specific filters. After an initial search is performed, you can either choose a filter value from the left-hand menu, or type it into the Add Filter box. When adding a filter, term completion is available.
Release 1.7 - 3rd quarter
- Authors can initiate data submissions to TreeBASE through Dryad.
- Journals have the option of disallowing one-year embargoes.
- Access and download statistics are displayed.
- Partial submissions can be saved. (see Submission System)
- Registered users can see an overview of their completed and in progress submissions.
Search and retrieval:
- Relevant content in other repositories (initially KNB and TreeBASE) can be discovered through Dryad.
- Users can export data citations to bibliographic software.
Release 1.6 - 2nd quarter
- Submission integration with Evolution and the Journal of Evolutionary Biology.
- The submission system allows up to 4 hours of inactivity before the session times out, and authors are warned of this limit.
- DOIs are assigned to data packages and data files.
- A dedicated field is provided for authors to report related data in other repositories.
Search and retrieval:
- Dryad can harvest content from external repositories through harvest
- Content harvested from TreeBASE and the Knowledge Network for Biocomplexity LTER Network are harvested an searched by default.
- Identifiers/links to related data in other repositories are displayed to users.
- Search is focused on data packages, rather than data files.
- Search is available from all pages in the repository.
- Data is securely replicated between NC State Digital Library and NESCent to protect against data loss and corruption.
Release 1.5 - 1st quarter
- Submission integration with Journal of Heredity.
Search and retrieval:
- Improved display of data package pages and data file pages, including better indications of embargo information.
- Faceted search with multiple filters (e.g., taxonomy, author, journal), enabling journal-specific views on the repository.
- Ability for curators to do batch updates and receive batch reports.
- Set up multiple instances of Dryad for testing, staging and demonstration.
Release 1.4 - 4th quarter
- First links from articles to Dryad records.
- Submission integration with Molecular Ecology.
- Release of Dryad blog.
Release 1.3 - 3rd quarter
- Behind the scenes work on DSpace.
Release 1.2 - 2nd quarter
- Submission integration with The American Naturalist
Release 1.1 - 1st quarter
- Web submission system for authors to self-submit.
- Embargoes enabled (through curator).
- Publications can be searched by DOI.
Release 1.0 - 4th quarter
- Initial submission system begins testing
- Improved browsing interface
Release 0.9 - 2nd quarter
- Approval system for new submissions
Release 0.7 - 1st quarter
- Public web site at http://datadryad.org
- Repository moved to production server
- Repository is seeded with data from other sites and NESCent scientists