Automatic Metadata Generation R&D (SILS Metadata class)
Jane’s SILS metadata class description: INLS 720 (252): Metadata Architectures and Applications Prerequisite: INLS 520 or 521, or 509. [Catalog description @: http://sils.unc.edu/programs/courses/descriptions.html#211]
Final projects exploring automatic metadata generation and metadata quality in Dryad:
- MEOW[excel] project (MEtadata Object Wrapper): Data object wrapper metadata—an assessment of the availability and quality of metadata associated excel data files stored in Dryad. (J. L. Harroun)
- MEOW[pdf] project (MEtadata Object Wrapper): Data object wrapper metadata—an assessment of the availability and quality of metadata associated pdf data files stored in Dryad. (L. Richardson)
- SNIP-IT project (Semantic Nuggets in Pieces of Indexed Text): Article content and data object metadata generation—an evaluation of the suitability of published article content, found in pre and post data presentation sub-genres, for automatic metadata generation. (J. Adamo, L. Skalla).
- NACS project (Name Authority Control for Scientists): Name-authority control—an exploratory study on the need for name authority control for scientists depositing in Dryad, and the suitability of the LCNAF (LC Authorities: http://authorities.loc.gov/). (D. Haven)
- Comparing HIVE/HIVE and the NCBO Bioportal: Comparing concept retrieval indexing and basic term matching technqiues. (J. Sherman).
- Training HIVE: Marchine learning in HIVE, preparing a cookbook for LIS professionals. (M. Marathe)
- A potnetial project/currently on hold: Confirming and validating taxonomic authorities for Dryad—an assessment of selected taxonomic systems for standardizing taxonomic names in Dryad, drawing from nexus file data (the initial sample will be drawn from Systematic Biology.
- Research Randomizer: http://www.randomizer.org/form.htm
- Dryad repository homepage: http://datadryad.org/
- Parnter journals: http://datadryad.org/repo/themes/Dryad/pages/partners.html
- HIVE wiki: https://www.nescent.org/sites/hive