DryadLab TAB Presentation Jan2011
From Dryad wiki
Introduction to Dryad and DryadLab
An example activity
Based on BioQUEST BIRDD Morphology material
- Sample material for instructors
- Corresponding datasets in Dryad
DryadLab Home Page
Other Questions for the Board
- Ideas for leveraging existing curriculum/development resources?
- Ideas for how to select articles/datasets for activity development? What analysis examples would be most useful? Any specific suggestions?
- How do teachers select lessons? How can we promote their use?
- Ideas for cross-promotion so far include Merlot, NSDL (possibly in the Data Sheets section), and Understanding Evolution (of course!)
- Is there merit aligning these to the national standards (for college/grad level instruction)?
- What computer/software resources can we assume are available in a typical upper clas bio class?
- What level of comfort with data analysis should we expect among instructors? For example, should we steer students through the use of statistical or visualization software methods with text or video tutorials?
- What’s a reasonable in-class/out-of-class duration for an activity?
- How do we best package the materials separately for teachers and students? Would it damage uptake to require if teachers to register? Is that even a necessary or effective way of preventing students from seeing answer keys? Should we simply avoid activities that have answer keys?
- How much to prepare the activity, versus letting instructors customize, or letting students craft the activity for themselves?
- How to have students interact with repository directly?
- What strategies should we employ to adjust the educational level? Is it realistic to see these being used in upper division classes?