DryadLab TAB Presentation Jan2011
From Dryad wiki
Introduction to Dryad and DryadLab
An example activity
Based on BioQUEST BIRDD Morphology material
- Sample material for instructors
- Corresponding datasets in Dryad
DryadLab Home Page
Other Questions for the Board
- Ideas for leveraging existing curriculum/development resources?
- Ideas for how to select articles datasets that will be used -- what areas are in need or are easiest to sell? Any specific suggestions?
- How do teachers select lessons? How can we promote their use?
- Is there merit aligning these to the national standards (for college/grad level instruction)?
- What computer/software resources can we assume are available in a typical upper clas bio class?
- What level of comfort with data analysis should we expect among instructors?
- What’s a reasonable in-class/out-of-class duration for an activity?
- How do we best package the materials separately for teachers and students? Would it damage uptake to require if teachers to register? Is that even a necessary or effective way of preventing students from seeing answer keys? Should we simply avoid activities that have answer keys?
- How to steer students through external software (e.g. video tutorials?)
- How much to prepare the activity, versus letting instructors customize, or letting students craft the activity for themselves?
- How to separate teacher/student materials?
- How to have students interact with repository directly?
- What strategies should we employ to adjust the educational level? Is it realistic to see these being used in upper division classes?