Large File Transfer
Dryad needs to accept uploads of large files. These files must be transferred outside the normal submission system unless/until a better transfer mechanism is built into the submission system.
Some institutions use HTTP
- can be built into the submission system easily
- times out easily, especially on low-quality Internet connections
We are currently testing file transfers via ftp2.nescent.org. When a transfer is needed, NESCent IT must turn on the service, and they should be notified to shut down the service after a transfer is complete.
- simple and well understood
- security issues
Mailed USB key
- can transfer very large files without worrying about size and bandwidth concerns
- doesn't seem "professional"
- may take a long time for international authors
- can transfer large files efficiently
- The process of creating a torrent file is too complex for a typical Dryad user.