Old:December 2006 Workshop Plans
- Date: Dec 5, 2006
- Time: ?
- Place: NESCent
- Kathleen Smith
- NESCent-MRC DRIADE team
- Michael Whitlock (American Naturalist)
- Don Waller (SSE)
- Mark Rausher (Evolution)
- Marcy Uyenoyama (MBE)
- Bob Peet (to discuss the experience of Ecology)
- To inform the society and journal reps of our plans to date
- To discuss how to gather requirements.
- (Uncertain until we have a better idea of the length of the meeting)
- Todd & Hilmar: Known and unknown requirements to date, and plans for two workshops
- Jane: The landscape of data repositories, and what will be needed from societies and journals
- NESCent-MRC people
- Matt Jones (SEEK)
- Sarah & Eric Kanza (OpenContext) & Ahrash Bissell (OpenContext, Duke)
- ? (CIESEN)
- Lagoze? (OAI)
- ? (Marine Metadata Initiative)
- ? (Odum Institute) – sustainability, heterogenous ingest
- Tom Hammond (Conservation Commons)
- John Willbanks, (Science Commons, GBIF) – IP, metadata standards
- David Schloen (OCHRE)?
- Bruce Bauer (World Data Center for Paleoclimatology)
- Val Tannen (Data integration, Treebase)
- ? (Genbank)
- Greg Ricardo (Morphbank)
- Emilia Martins (EthBase)
- ? (NSF Cyberinfrastructure)
- C. Lynch
- J. Kim
- R. Page
- Obtain guidance on design features covering all aspects of the OAIS model:
Ingest—receipt and verification of records; Archival Storage—secure storage of records; Data Management—secure management of records; Administration—management of internal and external relations; Preservation—management of record integrity and security over time; and Access—provision of records in response to user queries.
- Particular areas of concern:
- How would the system be administered?
- How can depositors be incentivized?
- How would the system be sustainably funded?
- What intellectual property policies need to be put into place?
System architecture issues
- What is the role for bona fide data federation/integration technology?
- What is the (meaning of and) need for a trusted repository?
- What is the role of distributed/grid storage?
User interface and interoperability issues
- How to synchronize ingestion with journal publication and 3rd-part database deposition?
- How to enable harvesting of data by 3rd-parties (e.g. OAI-MHP)?
- What should be the functionality of the interface to the centralized registry?
- What metadata is required an how to generate it (Dublin Core, DDI-lite, EML, standards imposed by specialized repositories)?
Provisional agenda Day 1:
- Introductions and presentation of objectives
- Refine, as a group, tasks for the breakout sessions.
- Three concurrent breakout sessions over lunch and into early afternoon, with short chalktalks relevant to each topic followed by focused discussion on the breakout tasks.
- Late afternoon breakout group summaries
- Three concurrent morning breakout sessions, again with short chalktalks relevant to each topic followed by focused discussion on the breakout tasks.
- 1-2 hour large group discussion
- Writing of recommendations