Old:Dryad Survey 2007
From Dryad wiki
Revision as of 10:27, 15 September 2014 by Ryan Scherle
STATUS: This page is no longer being maintained and of historical interest only.
- Do data sharing attitudes vs practices align with each other?
- Do scientists who say they like to share actually do so? (Q#s 4,18)
- Do synthetic scientists actually share more data than non-synthetic ones? (Q#s 18,23)
- Are data sharing attitudes and practices consistent across fields, and career stages?
- How necessary and popular are data sharing mandates?
- Mandate attitudes versus experiences? (Q#s 4,5 and 12,13)
- Attitude to data sharing versus embargo? (Q#s 4,14)
- How much data is being lost in the current system, and how much do people care?
- Do people who don't care about data loss have certain kinds of data? (Q#s 6,7)
- Do people who use older data care more? (Q#s 6,10)
- Concern about loss versus actual loss? (Q#s 6,15,16)
- Repository use versus data loss? (Q#s 6,12,15,16)
- Do people with electronic data that is not deposited experience more data loss? (Q#s 6,9,15,16)
- What is the relative importance of technical and social obstacles?
- What kinds of data are most likely to be lost?
- From those who have data but don't share (Q#s 7, 8, 18)
- From those who have data but have lost it (Q#s 7, 15, 16)
- Are there particular datatypes that are important to each field? (Q#s 1+7)
- Which communities (age&field) are most resistant to data sharing, and what are their objections? (Q#s 1,2,8/18; breakdown Q20 by field)
- Which communities are most on-board with Dryad?
- Are reasons for not sharing similar across data types? (Q#s 8,20)
- Which people share the most data? (Q#s 1,2,21,23)
- Are there any high-demand data types that no repository serves well? (Q#s 7,11,12)
- Relationship between electronic data and sharing, field, and career stage? (Q#s 9,18,others)
- What kinds of data do people have, which of those do they share, and which are electronic? (Q#s 7,8,9,18)
- Do synthetic scientists value data sharing more or differently than non-synthetic ones? (Q#s 3,4,5,6 vs 23)
- Receiving vs granting of data sharing requests? (Q#s 17,18)
- Conditions attached on own data versus received data? (Q#s 19,24, breakdown by 23)
- Do personal/social versus technical reasons for not sharing data vary by data type, or by whether the data are electronic? (Q#s 7,20 and 6,11,16)
- Do data type and concern about loss affect willingness to share data? (Q#s 4,5,7 and 6,11,16)
- Is there a relationship between repository used and whether the data are electronic? (Q#s 12,9,7)
- Are synthetic scientists more often denied requests for sharing data? (Q#s 21,22,23,24)
- Data re-use versus data age, and are there non-trivial reasons for it? (Q#s 10,23, break down by 1,7)
- Data sharing behavior
- Is there evidence for emerging data sharing culture change? One approach could be to compare quantity of data sharing with attitude with which the data is being shared. For example, rates of data sharing (data deposition, granting data sharing requests) may be higher the further someone is in the career mostly because they have more to share. If it is, However, is openness (as evidenced by deposition, attaching fewer or no strings, rejecting requests on technical or legal rather than personal or social reasons) inversely correlated with career age?