TreeBASE Submission Integration
From Dryad wiki
Status: Nescent and Yale will begin work on this after the TreeBASE OAI Provider is complete.
- User submits to Dryad (and completes the submission).
- User is presented with a button "Also submit this content to TreeBASE"
- When the button is pressed, all relevant Dryad data/metadata is forwarded to TreeBASE as a SWORD package (publication becomes a TreeBASE study, each tree & matrix becomes TreeBASE data).
- Items are in the TreeBASE submission system, waiting for the user to finish. The user can login to TreeBASE at any time and complete the submission, adding additional information as necessary. (Or they may ignore it)
- When TreeBASE submission is complete Dryad picks up the submission in its next OAI-PMH harvest (from the TreeBASE OAI Provider).
- Dryad matches the items to existing Dryad records. Typically the matching will rely on Dryad handles being present in the records that TreeBASE serves via OAI, but matching may also rely on publication DOI, titles, or other metadata.
Whiteboard notes from the initial discussion, including integration with Dryad submissions:
- Ryan/TB: define format of the SWORD package.
- TB: develop SWORD ingest capability.
- Ryan: produce SWORD packages from submission system.
- Ryan: enhance OAI harvesting system to accommodate workflow above
- Can Dryad records be transferred immediately, or must they be approved by a Dryad curator first? If records are transferred before curator approval, when is the permanent ID assigned?
- Is it possible to carry over authentication? (single sign-on) Can/should Dryad track user account info on other systems? (or will everyone move to DataONE authentication?)
- Does the user have to press a button to submit to TreeBASE, or could it just be automatic? If we could link the user accounts, the submission could just show us when the user logs into TreeBASE.
- Should TreeBASE have a "pull" method, where users logged in to TreeBASE can import content with a Dryad ID?
Relevant Text from the Grant Proposal
- "[handshaking] so that, where required by the journal or requested by the author, data will simultaneously be deposited in Dryad and... TreeBASE."
- "Dryad will collect any metadata required by the target database that has not already been captured, submit the pertinent data to the target database using a non-interactive programmatic gateway, and obtain the submission status, accession numbers, or possible error messages from the target database."
- "For TreeBASE, we will design and implement a robust, web-service based submission Application Programming Interface (API). An extensive redesign of TreeBASE by the CIPRES project (www.phylo.org) is scheduled for release in 2007. However, it currently lacks a submission API. The software to be added will include the automated data validation steps that are part of the new TreeBASE submission process (e.g. validating the NEXUS format, matching terminal taxa against the uBio NameBank). When TreeBASE rejects a submission, the depositor will be notified, advised how to correct the problem, and asked to resubmit. "
See also: TreeBASE OAI Provider